Monday, August 25, 2008

Hansen Family Reunion

We had a family reunion for my mother's side of the family this weekend in Provo. Unfortunately I had to work and so I only caught the last hour of it but I really enjoyed the short time I had with my aunts, uncles, and cousins - all of whom I don't see enough.

I don't know my mom's parents at all. Her mother was very sick but when she found out my mom was getting married she made a remarkable recovery for the wedding, getting well enough to stand in the recieving line and greet everyone who came. She died just 3 weeks after my parent's wedding. My grandpa Hansen died when I was about 3. I don't have any memories of him. I have always said the one thing I would like different in my life is to know my Hansen grandparents.

My mother is the youngest of 10 children and then she didn't marry until she was 35 so by the time we were born, her brothers and sisters were long done with having kids so there is quite an age difference between my family and the rest of the Hansen cousins. I think some of my cousin's children are closer in age to us then my actual cousins!

There are 4 of my mom's siblings alive and they all made it to the reunion. It was pretty neat considering some of them are close to 90 years old! Each family brought some memorabilia of the Hansen family with them such as stories, pictures, or genealogy. One cousing brought a family history chart that showed the Hansen family as decentants of King Edward the First, so I am royality! I thought that was pretty cool!

No comments: