My first day of work, my very first patient had a huge abscess and my boss asked me to get him numb so he could work on the tooth. My stomach dropped down to my knees! I got my syringe and cartridge, placed my topical in the correct area and waited the recommended time. I was following all the rules I learned in school. It didn't help much becasue I was even more scared than I was for my anesthesia test! I just kept telling myself "just act like you know what you are doing, he doesn't know any different!"
I told him to open wide, placed my thumb in the cornoid notch and looked for the pterygomandibular raphe. To my great relief my patient had a very prominate raphe and I was able to find the landmark. Then I just picutred my cute Lacey's face on my patient and gave him the injection. (Lacey was my partner for injections and she was the best, she always made me feel like I knew what I was doing!)
The injection went very smoothly and he even got numb! I was very proud of myself! I give about 3 injections a day and it took me almost 2 weeks but I can now say that I am finally comfortable with injections and my hands no longer shake! I just had to share the great news because I was seriously considering a move to Texas where it is not legal for hygienists to give shots!
5 comments:
Good Job Kristin! I could never do what you do!! It makes me so thankful that there are those of you who have the courage to do it. Thanks!!
I am very proud of you! You always were the best at injections. Keep up the good work. You're going to have to give me some pointers once I move back to Utah. I'll be outta practice! I'm already nervous!
I still hate to give the IA, totally going in blind which is scary to say but like you said. Your patient has no clue.
Yea! I don't know if that day will ever come for me. I am so behind i feel like. Great job! I bet you are the best clinician ever.
hey kristen its becky from st.george i was so glad you found my blog i hope everything is going good for you guys keep in touch!
Post a Comment