Thursday, September 11, 2008

Still in Shock

Ok, this post is for all my hygiene friends! Yesterday I had a patient come in and before I looked in his mouth I looked at his x-rays and found huge spicules of calculus between every single tooth. His probe readings were between 4-5mm and his gums were very edematous and red, and they bled just by looking at them. I thought he would need a blood transfusion by the time we were done due to the amount of bleeding. My first though was he would be a great boards patient (sad that thought still goes through my head!) but he would not have qualified becasue he was only 14 years old!!! Can you believe it? I about died! I have never in my life seen a 14 year old with that bad of a mouth. I spend an hour and a half cleaning his teeth. Poor kid probably hates me but his mouth will thank me in a week or so!

4 comments:

The Hanveys said...

Oh my gosh! That's awful! Poor kid. Random question....does your office make you bill that as PSR?

Ian and Kristin said...

No, my doctor wanted to do it just as a cleaning, although due to the amount of calculus it should have been a PSR. Most insurances probably would not have covered it becasue he didn't have pocket depths of 6mm (which totally sucks)

Streett's said...

Wow only 14!! How sad!

Class of 2008 said...

That is crazy! He has some seriously periodontal disease in his future if things don't change. Very sad.
Kim S