Sunday, September 7, 2008

Rest In Peace

Here lies my relationship with Mountain Dew. Our beautiful relationship started shortly after high school when my best friend encouraged me to switch from my ever trusted Dr. Pepper. One sip of that sweet yellow nectar and I was hooked!

I even bought some Mountain Dew while on my mission, much to the utter disgust of my companion who snipped at me that I needed to avoid even the appearance of evil. But you gotta do the dew, right? (The best part of Iowa was their knock off brands of Mountain Dew were called Hee Haw and Hillbilly Holler, funniest thing ever!)

Well as part of my commitment to a better life, I had to say good-bye to our relationship and just like that it came to an end on Monday, August 18, 2008. I even cut the ties to all related beverages. No more caffeine or carbonation. And I have to say that I feel better! It has not been easy especially since my husband brought home a case full of Mountain Dew and there are about 20 cans sitting in my fridge even as I type this!

But no worries, I have replaced my drinking habits with something else. I tell myself that it is just as tasty as my previous habit and when that doesn't work I just look at that label full of nutrition and I realize that I am drinking it for a purpose. And when that doesn't work I just look at the scale and realize that I have lost 4 pounds and it makes me smile. I think I am going to like my new relationship!

6 comments:

Lacey said...

Way to go Kristin!!! I like Slim-Fast if it is really cold. You are awesome. That husband of yours needs to make this easier- not harder! Silly boy.

I love the knock-off Dew names. Hee-larious.

Janette said...

Wow, great job!!! Keep up your hard work!

The Hanveys said...

You've inspired me to stop drinking so much soda. Keep up the good work!!! Before you know it, you'll be needing to go shopping for a whole new wardrobe!

Class of 2008 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Class of 2008 said...

Good for you Kristin. But I will never give up the Dew. I loved your description, sweet nectar of life indeed. haha. Keep up the good work and I will keep sipping the soda. :)
Kim S.

Community Service Fast said...

Our non-profit is publishing a book on recovery from caffeine addition. We are looking for stories of recovery from various caffeinated products, including coffee, tea, energy drinks, no doz pills, soda, etc. Authors of the stories will be kept completely anonymous. This book is being written to help others who may be suffering from an addiction to caffeine and may identify with someone's story and seek help. Stories are ideally between 2,000 and 4,000 words total. If you or someone you know has struggled with caffeine addiction, this is a great opportunity to reach out and help others. All participants will receive a free copy of the book, once it is published. Please email us at nocaf4me@xemaps.com or visit www.CaffeineAwareness.org